Thursday, September 18, 2008

Brain Surgery #4...Never Back Down

It's official...Bear will be having brain surgery #4 very soon.

We saw Dr. G in Orlando today {Kody's neurosurgeon} and judging by the amount of headaches he's had since July {I kept a log of them...there really was alot} and the size of his way too small third ventricle, a new shunt is defiantly in order.
There isn't enough CFS fluid in his brain to keep it healthy. Basically, his brain is being dehydrated and he feels like he's got a hangover just about every single day.
Plus...when he wakes up, what fluid is still in that ventricle is escaping as soon as he stands up..making him wobbly, disoriantated and miserable.

The next step is taking him for a Cat Scan and a shunt series so that Dr. G can see exactly what kind of shunt he has in there and if the new one will be compatible. If it isn't, no big deal..just a little more plumbing parts will be needed to make it work perfectly.
This new shunt will be programmable with a siphon valve. The surgeon will be able to control the amount of the cerebral spinal fluid intake and outtake.

After the new scans..which will probably be next week, we take him back to the surgeons and after that they give us the date for surgery.
He'll have a one night hospital stay {barring no problems} and have to be on antibiotics before and after.
He'll have two cuts, one on each side of the shunt he has now..so that the Dr. can slip the old one out and put the new one in. His stitches will be dissolvable and he'll need 2 weeks to one month to completely heal.
We all know Kody though, and that child will be just fine within a day or two..I can pretty much guarantee that. :0)

When I asked him what he thought of all this, his answer was strong and simple..

"Never back down...never, ever back down".



How can you not love a kid with a spirit so strong?

Have a great night everyone!!!!

PS. I'm having issues with the blog comments thing..I've only gotten two out of the seven that was supposed to be there, so if your "shout out" isn't posted....I'm working to get that fixed.
Sorry. :0(

11 comments:

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Please...that kid will be skating in no time!!

I am actually happy to hear he will have this done - I hate seeming him suffer with those nasty headaches.

Hallie

Our Legacy Portraits said...

We are praying for Kody and your family..

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim, I haven't left comments as I wasn't sure how to do it, but tonight I'll give it a try. I keep Kody in my prayers, always, and I sure hope the new shunt gets rid of the headaches. Now let's see if I can get this to post.
Judy Elliott

Anonymous said...

Thoughts and prayers for you all .... YOU are a strong family and will get through this !!

{{HUGS}} Christie

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for several years... (I am the one that thought I saw Karl drving a truck in NC, lol, remember?). I just have to say that you continually amaze and inspire me with your ALWAYS POSITIVE OUTLOOK on life! I LOVE your family, you guys rock as far as showing LOVE, SUPPORT, and what a positive attitude is all about. Thank you for sharing with us and providiing that inspiration to me every day!

Anonymous said...

Goodness, You never have a second that isnt nutty Kim, I dont know how many starbucks drinks you have each day to keep you going but it must be a lot..LOL...Praying for you and kody though we know a gorgeous skater boy has to be up and at em..the chicks need him...Love, Marci

Jaime T. said...

Prayers for the Bear... And prayers that this will take care of those terrible headaches!

Jaime in CT :)

Anonymous said...

Kim, this is "S" from Georgia. Did you get my last e-mail. It was long and about the craft shows? I haven't heard from you, but I know you have been busy 24-7 lately. I have been praying and praying for you and your family. I am so sorry that Kody has to have yet another surgery. I was praying that the shunt would work its way OK on its own, but it looks like not. I will pray that all the tests leading up to the surgery goes with no problems and that the surgery will go smoothly and with no complications--and once he is back at home where he belongs that he will never have any health problems again. Wow what a sentence! I hope the job goes well. I have been praying for Kaysha and Kolin and Kyle James too. I have especially been praying for you and Karl. You two are awesome, but have more on you than I could withstand. I hope things are better. Please e-mail me back and let me know how everyone is. Sharon

Jill said...

Kody - I am so sorry to hear you will be having another surgery but I know it will help you so much. I am sure you feel like a new kid after the surgery is done. I will continue to pray for you Kody, you are such a fighter!!!
Hugs from Missouri,
Jill

Anonymous said...

Dear K. Family,
My prayers are with all of you as Bear faces another surgery. Hopefully, this will be the last one. I know he will be just fine. Kody, you truly are an amazing and inspirational young man and you should be very proud of what you have accomplished. I am sorry for not signing in lately but I do still check in almost every day. Love, blessings and tons of hugs,
Tanya (still a heebie jeebie lol)

Anonymous said...

Holey Canoli. Three updates since I was here last night. Sure glad this was the first one, and sure am hoping that numbers 2 & 3 are just some fun updates (and no problems!).

You know....the Kody I have known for over 6 years is gonna fly through this surgery with no problems. I still can't believe how quickly he was out of the hospital last time, and how fast he was back on his board....even though the docs didn't think so!! That's our Kody!!! I can't wait for it all to be done, not only so your anxiety level drops, for him to be so much more comfortable!'

Oh...since I know nothing about shunts...I'm wondering how big they are?

Shiela

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin