Friday, September 26, 2008

Bear's Update With A Promise From Me

First..I promise to update tomorrow..it has been hectic like you wouldn't believe.
Soooo....with today being what I thought was my last day of work, I can get back to business here.
Actually..I was offered a full time position.
I've got the weekend to really put some thought into it and as much as I want to say "Yes", I really wish it was part time because with everything going on here..I would have jumped on that in a heartbeat.

No worries though..I'll go back Monday to talk and I have a good feeling we'll work something out that will benefit everyone.

OK...now to the important news.

We took Kody to see the surgeon yesterday. His third ventricle which is located right next to his brainstem, is a just a mere tiny slit. There is virtually no CSF in there at all which is leaving his brain dehydrated badly.

So...he will be having his second shunt, a programmable one, placed in his head this Tuesday at 7:30 AM at Arnold Palmer Hospital in Orlando.
We have to have him there at 5:30 AM, so it'll be a long day.
Hopefully I'll be able to use the hospitals wireless Internet and I'll be able to give updates throughout the day.
Fingers crossed on that. :0)

If you look at this picture, in the first block {top left} are two shunts. Kody's will be the one on the right.



See the two tips on the ends? One tip is attached to the tube that goes though his skull and into the third ventricle of his brain. The other half goes down into his pelvis.
So, much like his original VP shunt, it looks like this inside of him...




As much as this is another brain surgery, we have to keep in mind that Kody is in the best physical and mental shape he has ever been in. That in itself will get him through this next hurdle effortlessly and flawlessly. If the doc's say it'll take two weeks to recoup...I give him 3 to 5 days. The kid is a beast. :0)

Tomorrow I'll have plenty of time to get this blog updated properly with lots of photos, so stay tuned. :0)

Till then though...this Mama Bear has got a half dozen hats to start stitching up....so I'm off for the night.

Have a great night everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, Kim! Your pics sure do help me "see" what is going to be happening. I'm not sure if you expected the surgery to be so soon, but in my (Mom's) mind, I'm thinking the sooner the better so as no more nerves. And, I totally agree...we'll expect Kody up and ready in less time than the docs predict!! AND...I'm sooooo glad he is in such good physical and mental states. He'll do AWESOME, as always!

What a weekend (timing-wise) to have to decide on the full-time job. I sure hope they are able to work something out that is part-time. Hopefully they'll be as family oriented as you've said they are, and able to work with you.

Hope you're having a good night.

Love,
Shiela

Acutescrubnurse said...

Kim,
Congrats on the job offer!! Hope it works out for you.
Kody, I will be praying for you like crazy as you go through another surgery. I hope this is the answer to your nasty headaches that you have had.
Take care of yourselves!!
Rita

christie said...

Much love , lotsa prayers and big, big {{hugs}}

Christie

Our Legacy Portraits said...

We are all praying for Kody's successful surgery and speedy recovery. I wish I had half the fight in me that Kody does. Kim, I know we are all the way in Texas but if there is anything at all that you need - Please Please Please let us know! Love Ya'll!

Anonymous said...

good luck bear!!

i'll be sending some positive vibes your way!!

i know you'll be back to your normal butt-kickin self in no time!

no little ventricle is going to get you down!

you rock and you're totally an inspiration! <3

AmazingGraceTX said...

I will definitely be keeping the bear in my thoughts and prayers this week. Does Kody have an iPod?
Loriann

Stacy said...

Kody, I will be thinking of you all day Tuesday. Well I am in Alaska and 5am is 1am for me so I may be sleeping but you will be in my thoughts. You are a strong and brave young man and I know for sure that this will just go as smoothly as your Mom says.
{{Stacy}}

Cheri said...

Sending our prayers for a very successful surgery.
((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

Best of luck on Tuesday for a perfect procedure. From NY.

Anonymous said...

Please know that I'm thinking of all of you and sending loads of prayers to our Bear.

Lots of love...
Terry
{Angel Jalen's "Am-Maw"}
www.caringbridge.org/fl/jalen

Jaime T. said...

Thank you for taking the time to explain what is happening. Kosy sure is a brave bear (but you already knew that). Sending many prayers and well-wishes that he'll sail through the surgury and be back to being his awesome self (but headache-free) in no time!

Jaime in CT :-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin