Monday, October 26, 2009

Dang Easy Veggie Soup

I am in no way a professional cook/chef/wanna be Rachel Ray in any way. Truth be told, after what seemed like 100 years cooking three meals a day for a family of 8, I really don't enjoy cooking at all.
Decorating cakes.....well, that's different. :0)
Anyway, I like making sure my Hell Raisers eat healthy and fact is, we only let them have fast food maybe 4 times a year, or less. Bet'cha didn't know that. Hehe.
So, even though I'd rather do 10 loads of laundry, mop 6 floors and Clorox the heck out of two bathrooms, everyday without fail I have to drag myself into that room we call a kitchen and prepare that family of mine something that will put some good nutrition in their growing bodies.

One day last week when we were having some out of the ordinary cool weather I slapped together the easiest veggie soup ever. Seriously, I wouldn't make that up...just drop and go basically.

So here is what I started out with {cuz it happened to be what I had in the veggie bin that particular day}...

Veggie Soup 1


Yellow squash, zucchini, green onions, eggplan and Tootsie Rolls.
Wait...let me rephrase, the Tootsie Rolls are for picking on while you slave over the stove.

Then I pulled out all of these...

Veggie Soup 2


I chopped all the veggies and threw them into an enormous pot then added a bunch of water..

Veggie Soup 3


The eggplant started turning brownish as soon as they were cut. Oh well, you win some and sometimes things just turn color. No worries, it tastes just fine.

I started boiling away when it occurred to me Wife Swap was on. I didn't want to miss it so I took it upon myself to toss in everything else. Tomatoes, spices, everything.
It was smelling pretty darn good.

During commercial breaks, I scored a few more Tootsies, and stirred away.
After about oh 40 minutes I gave it a try. The veggies were perfect but the watery stuff...not so good.
So, I dumped about half that boring tasting water down the sink and raided the pantry.
I found tomato soup and threw that in.
Beef bullion cubes, threw like 6 of those in.
Added some more Italian Spices and a touch more garlic, let it simmer for another 30-40 minutes and what do you know? Perfecto Dude!

Somewhere, around 30 minutes before dinnertime I had this feeling that it needed one more thing, something perhaps to disguise the onions so K&K might miss them.
So, I took two bags of "boil-in-a-bag" rice and boiled, drained, opened the bags and threw that in too.
Now that's what I call....HOT DANG GOOD.

So, this is what we ended up with on the table that night.

Veggie Soup 4


Sprinkle some Parmesan on top and your totally good to go.
Low fat, not many calories, lots of healthy fiber and good for you too.
However, FYI, it is seedy so if you can't tolerate seedy stuff, just substitute other veggies...no problem. :0)

Happy Soup Slurpin'!!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, Kim. It never fails. I can come to your Blog and smile. I can come by your Blog and sometimes cry. But other times, much like today, I LOL. Twice!!! I swear I need this mental break on a regular basis!!! :o) The first time I LOL was because I had noticed that big ole jar of candy on the right-hand side of your pic. Sure, it was a bit blurry because I thought I was supposed to be keeping my eyeballs on the SOUP INGREDIENTS. Low and behold, ya had to go and mention that those were for the Chef to pop in their mouth. Sadly, I would be eating the whole stinkin' jar of them! (Tootsies are a favorite!) Then I LOL, but my Dorie Brain can't remember what it was now! (Sad, I know!) Anyway, I do remember that you made me LOL twice, so thank you!!! :)

Sure hope Kody is feeling a bit better today and/or you've had success with finding somewhere to be checked. Speaking of him, yesterday we were heading to our son's soccer game and in front of us was a car from Massachusetts. Ironically, I thought of Kody. Wanna know why? There was a "Save the Ta-Ta's" magnet on the bumper. I proceeded to tell my husband about Kody's shirt, and how some people were 'offended' by the fact he was wearing it, blah, blah, blah, when my youngest pipes up from the back of the van...."What's Ta-Ta's??". That, my dear, is when I changed the subject!!!! :)

Hey, hope you're having a good day. It's a beautiful, sunny, day here in Upstate New York. Too bad most of the leaves are already on the ground and brown....

Love,
Shiela in NY

Unknown said...

The soup looks fantastic! Sadly, I also noticed the Tootsie Rolls in the jar right away as well. lol

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin